Saturday, May 28, 2005

The GSS and a bunch of random thoughts

The GSS and a bunch of random thoughts
The title for this entry sounds like it can be one for a cheesy novel, a cheap paperback.
Oh well.
I am sure I'm not the only one that went for the midnight sale at Wisma Atria on Thursday. I didn't even know there was a sale actually until my good friend brought me there. The place, needless to say, was crowded.
Well, usually, I am not the kind that will squeeze through the bodies of some other tens of strangers to get to that glam, vintage top. Not to mention that my bank account decided to go on a diet at the wrong time of the year.
So i did what the optimists call 'window-shopping'.
I can't help but felt that the atmosphere last night at Wisma Atria was somewhat like people buying CNY stuff at Chinatown. I actually saw and heard a few of the shops ringing a bell. They just lack the endless chant of "Lelong, Lelong! Buy 2 get 1 free!". No, not exaggerating.
I guess I was infected by the GSS virus and decided that I should spread the news around to my shopping friends. I cannot believe I did that really. Usually it takes a lot of effort for me to brave through crowds to get to a sale.
"G2000 up to 50% sale leh! Super a lot of people! Somemore, they are also a one night only 15% off the final bill! That's up to 65% off! Wa!!!"
I was quite surprised at my involuntary reaction really.
I noticed a really interesting phenomena too.
Gentlemen, this is for you.
While the ladies were in Charles and Keith, or Forever 21 or GG5 hoping to grab a few bargains, the poor gentlemen stood outside the shops - almost in a straight horizontal line facing the shops. Most of the have their arms crossed in front of their body, with a defeated look on their face. They look almost like part time security guards. This is really a sociological phenomena!
Today, I went to Bugis. I tried to search for security guards but found almost none today. They have all become porters.
Right hand 2 bags - M)phosis, Addidas
Left hand 3 bags - POA, URS, Levis
I think the porters at the hotels have an easier job. At least they do not have to follow the owners of the luggage around. Oh, they even get tips. Those porters today, they may even have to pay.
No, I am not speaking up for the men, in case you are wondering. I just want to bring this to your attention. (if anyone is reading at all that is)
Nor am I a man trapped in a woman's body.
Which brings me to my next point.
There is this non-profit organisation call Liberty League. Not that business releated liberty league I think
If I am not wrong, I heard that their cause is pretty interesting but perhaps somewhat sensitive in this land we call our home. I won't share what I have heard here, in case I am sued for libel, just in case my hearing has failed me.
I am in the process of finding more information about them. If you know, share it with me ya.
Hereby conclude the first chapter of The GSS and a bunch of random thoughts.

No comments: